Re: [ietf-smtp] Reject messages on backup mail exchangers when primary MX is online

2013-02-26 17:39:16
On 2/26/2013 2:00 PM, Evert Mouw wrote:
This is why its a complex queuing issue. Suppose I have 1000 messages for 1000 people at the same domain? How will you do the sending? Do all go to the first MX? Do you spread it? Are you shooting for fast throughput? What is the better queuing strategy? Does one fit all?

The answer is in the RFC I have quoted earlier for you. All 1000 messages MUST be tried by the client using the first MX.
I don't think that is says or implies that.
Hate it or love it, but that is what the RFC 5321 is for. And yes, I know, there is no way to check / enforce that, unfortunately I would say. Maybe the XCLIENT proposal can help in that regard.

The answer is not in the RFC. If you used a 1000 messages on the first MX, you will run into trouble - pronto!!!! It would take forever sending mail one at at time. Of course, that first MX can expand to more host/IPs but if its only one or few IPs and there are more MXs, there are strategies in order to distribute more than one or a few at a time. Throughput is very important for many. Also you have the Connection Sharing method as well, that can get into the Query Strategy mix. Fortunately, Connection Sharing is frown upon even by the authors of such logic in their own wares.

Thanks

--
HLS