Re: [ietf-smtp] Reject messages on backup mail exchangers when primary MX is online

2013-02-27 19:42:14
On 2/27/2013 3:14 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
On 26/02/2013 23:37, hector wrote:
The answer is not in the RFC. If you used a 1000 messages on the first MX, you will run into trouble - pronto!!!! It would take forever sending mail one at at time. Of course, that first MX can expand to more host/IPs but if its only one or few IPs and there are more MXs, there are strategies in order to distribute more than one or a few at a time. Throughput is very important for many.
Well, there is also 'fairness'. While the sender may want to blast their mailing list at every possible MX and every possible connection on those MXs for a domain, it's entirely possible the receiver may be more interested in the sales order that is also trying to come in, rather than the car rental offers or whatever that are clogging up their servers.

'Throughput' should be for the benefit of the receiver, not the sender. It's inconsiderate to send using as many threads as possible to a single receiver.

Hi Paul,

I agree a good throughput strategy includes an awareness of the resistance, the friction, the connectivity factors (such as limits) of the other end. The goal is always a smooth working software machine and communications system, no bumps! :)

Since a receiver network can load balance, set limits, DoS controls, etc, a more complex, prudent scheme does include senders using the larger and/or entire MDA MX spectrum in the way they need it to work better for optimized and throughput reasons. No one want constant overhead (retries) and resistance (rejects) with receivers.

One related case scenario that I was noticing last year with a newsletter customer, was that their mailing list addresses with a wide spread of different domains, most seem to be hosted by the same vendor perhaps for AVS filtering.

So in other words, you have 100 distinct domains which to us humans only, their domains names may suggest they are part of the same trade business/group, hence maybe explaining how they came about to use the same vendor hosting service.

But now what you may have in a typical single domain issue regarding MX and retries, it is now multiplied by a 100 because they are all served by the same hosting service with its pool of MXs allocated per customer domains. The pattern was very clear. The once successful fast parallel (concurrent) processing and connection for many domains providing high throughput was now hampered with greater amount of hitting a new observed hosting vendor MX connection limits and also client IP limits. It appeared to be an integrated greylisting-like behavior but it also had a behavior where calling at a certain time (like after 5pm business hours) appeared to improve the connection and acceptance throughput.

I recall the only thing we needed to do was to make sure we provided the options for limiting and spreading the outbound mail MX expanded (and sorted by preference) IPs. We also had to create Domain group profiles where you can lump domains into a profile with certain outbound, retry scheduling strategies.

Overall, in my experience, following RFC 5321 MX logic and let them fly (in parallel) worked well. For the larger loads, there might be a lot of stress as the race starts, but it tends to smooth out and eventually the mail gets there. The Receivers are really good and robust about getting to much work. The software rejects, the software adjust, etc.

--
HLS