Re: [ietf-smtp] You can't hurt a computer's feelings

2013-02-28 04:54:58
At 7:16 PM +0000 2/27/13, John Levine wrote:

 On my mail system there is a global SMTP session budget. It accepts
 connections whever it's not at the limit, rejects them when it's over,
 without worrying about which senders are using which sessions.  That
 works great, sheds load quite nicely.

 I realize that in some circles full speed mail delivery is considered
 anti-social

The server I use has a global maximum receive sessions, a separate maximum from the same host, and a reserve that is maintained for the use of white-listed hosts.

This has nothing to do with any concept of what's polite versus anti-social, but rather to ensure that a spammer can't monopolize all inbound connections.

--
Randall Gellens