On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 01:21:51PM -0500, Chris Lewis wrote:
"Standardized" or not, Received lines provide a rich detail of fodder
for filtering, whether or not the filter manages to understand what
the received line is trying to say about where the email allegedly
came from or how it got there.  The IP could just as easily be a
non-reversible encrypted blob unique to the sending user that only the
provider understands, but the receiver can filter on.

I say "allegedly", because the actual source (personal attribution) of
the email is generally irrelevant to filtering. Our primary goal is
stopping the trash, a secondary goal is helping the infectee fix their
problem, but if the provider wants to interfere with the latter, well,
we can live with it.

I think this is a very good point. A recommendation to substitute a
"non-reversible encrypted blob" for the sender's IP address seems to me
a good balance between privacy and security.

I agree that if keeping your geolocation is a matter of life and death,
you shouldn't use email, but for me that is not a reason for the IP
address to be visible for anyone who can read the email. I think privacy
matters, even when it's not about life and death.

Martijn.