On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 09:37:13AM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
I'm fascinated by the concern about geolocation.

How well does it work for other people? For me, it gives me the
country fairly reliably, and nothing else reliably at all.

A very small sample (n=2) of submission IP addresses found in email
headers gave me the city/area the sender was based in.

It's not just about geolocation though; Christian pointed out some other
issues with being able to track people via their IP address.

A hashed IP address will not help issues with 'tracking' people
using their IP addresses (you just track people using the hashed
address instead). The only thing it will prevent is someone using
geolocation, which my tests suggest is pretty useless 99% of the
time anyway...

Yes, just using a hash wouldn't help much. The "cryptographic blob"
should be somewhat more complicated than just a hash. An RFC could make
recommendations about how to generate such a blob.

Martijn.