Re: [ietf-smtp] Mail forwarding to Gmail problem/question

2016-02-03 06:10:48
On 03/02/2016 11:08, Steve Atkins wrote:
On Feb 3, 2016, at 10:32 AM, Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

Hi, I just wondered if anyone here had any suggestions for this issue we
constantly have...

We provide a paid SMTP relay service to some of our customers who have ISPs
with awful SMTP relay services.

One constant issue we have is that several of our customers insist of setting
their internal mail servers up to forward all mail for certain users back out
to gmail addresses. That means that they send bucketloads of spam (incoming
spam to them, which then gets forwarded back to our servers). What then happens
is that Google (reasonably understandably) start limiting our servers from
sending mail to them, and they even seem to start rejecting legitimate mail
just because it's come through our servers which are also sending 'spam' to
them.
This is more of a mailop question than an ietf-smtp question.
Sorry - I thought this may not be the right place (although there may have been an SMTP extension I hadn't noticed which was relevant... ;-) ) I didn't know of that mailing list. I'll sign up to that for this type of question in the future.

Thanks for the answers anyway :-)