Re: [ietf-smtp] Mail forwarding to Gmail problem/question

2016-02-04 04:31:08
On 03/02/2016 22:05, Brandon Long wrote:

There was a long discussion about this on mailop not that long ago, you can see it here when you join the list:
https://chilli.nosignal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/mailop/2014-June/005184.html

Thanks. I've had a look at that.
Right now, there is no great solution.

The 'best' solution could be for Google to allow a user to define a 'forwarder' IP address/range... (And possibly allow forwarders to say that they are forwarders to help Google remind users to set their 'forwarder' settings)

One I recommended before was to block relayed spam, and then have the user's set up pop fetching. So, the cleanest mail should arrive quickly, and everything else will be fetched more slowly.
The problem with setting up POP3 fetching is that it requires a massive leap in technical ability for the user. It takes 2 seconds to set up 'forward to bob(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com' in our software. To do POP3 fetching, they need to set up port forwarding in firewalls, tell Google the server details etc. They may need to change from a dynamic IP address to a static one (or set up noip.com or whatever), and so on. So, users will stick with forwarding despite the problems it causes for their MSP.