Re: [ietf-smtp] Adding a new value to the WITH protocol type subregistry

2018-07-12 21:29:34
Given the proliferation of proxies, content filters, and other muddle-boxes
(sic -- I will let that typo stand!), I wonder how useful the various
annotations in Received actually are these days.  Most of the time, the only
useful information is the client's network address, and the timestamp.
Anything else I need comes from our internal logs.  Client address + timestamp
+ internal opaque identifier seems to be all that's really needed these days
for Received to provide useful auditing.

It's useful on hops where the two ends are under different control. e.g, user MUA to system MTA, or one system to the MX of another. I agree that hops with a system all under the same control aren't very interesting.

Regards,