Re: [ietf-smtp] Adding a new value to the WITH protocol type subregistry

2018-07-12 19:29:40

On Jul 12, 2018, at 5:21 PM, Michael Peddemors
<michael(_at_)linuxmagic(_dot_)com> wrote:

I would argue that the information is a lot more important than you think..
standards help.. (often the methods of authentication, or the way the email
was processing through 'muddle-boxes' helps in trust factors and reputation...

There are subtleties.  E.g., for our submission service, we should be including
the IP address of the client in Received.  Yet many of our customers don't want
that information exposed.  And in fact we advertise that we don't expose that
data.

That helps protect our customer's privacy.  But we still have the audit
information in our internal logs, should the need arise.  That could be for
customer support reasons (why didn't my mail get delivered?), or for legal
reasons (we always honour orders enforceable in a BC court).

--lyndon