Re: [ietf-smtp] Adding a new value to the WITH protocol type subregistry

2018-07-13 18:23:46
The alternative is modifying the proxy code to insert its own Received
header.  That would add a lot of overhead to what is otherwise a very
lightweight front end defence on our SMTP servers.

I don't get it.  The proxy gathers the info that it is putting into
the logs anyway and stuffs a Received: line to the next stage ahead of
the body of the message.  This doesn't seem like a lot of work.  It
should be able to do that before reading the body of the message from
the incoming connection so it doesn't need any extra buffering.

Given it's apparent simplicity it's surprising how often it's miscoded.

And that's just DATA. BDAT adds some additional complexity.

What am I missing?  Or are you saying the proxy passes a pointer to
the socket rather than the contents?

Quite a few proxies turn themselves into tunnels at some point in the protocol.

Or better still, use XCLIENT. This is it's main use-case.

   http://www.postfix.org/XCLIENT_README.html

Seems reasonable.  Are there descriptions of it beyond what's in that
web page?

Not that I'm aware of. Writing an I-D describing it is on my to-do list, but
I simply haven't had the time.

                                Ned