Re: [ietf-smtp] Adding a new value to the WITH protocol type subregistry

2018-07-12 15:44:23
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, John C Klensin wrote:
And, of course, if we propose to modify 5321 to allow lighter
weight review, someone is likely to ask for a careful review of
what "with" is actually used for now (as distinct from whatever
was assumed in 2008 or even in 1982 (it might even be me).   If
it has fallen into disuse ...

No problem there, it's quite useful. MTAs reliably put ESMTP or ESMTPS or ESMTPSA in the WITH clause so you can tell whether a hop used TLS or was authenticated. When explaining to people that yes, they really did send the spam I complained about, WITH ESMTPSA is a smoking gun to tell them that they have a compromised user account.

I see a trickle of WITH UTF8SMTPS tellimg me about EAI flagged mail.

Gmail puts WITH HTTP on messages coming from webmail which is wrong but fairly benign.

Microsoft of course gets it wrong, viz. these headers in a recent message

 SMTPSVC(8.5.9600.16384);        Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:01:47 -0400

Regards,