Re: [ietf-smtp] [Uta] New Version Notification for draft-levine-additional-registered-clauses-00

2019-01-24 17:45:25
   As I have always understood it, "spec required" means a
    published, stable, readily-accessible, etc., specification.
    Not necessarily an RFC but, until the definition of an I-D is
    changed to eliminate all of the "don't reference except as 'work
    in progress'" and "expires in six months" stuff, it would be
    unusual (and objectionable) for posting a spec as an I-D to
    qualify.

The TLS expert group, in agreement with the Security AD's, did exactly this.
Start your objections. :)