Re: [ietf-smtp] my perspective: viewing SMTP specifications and practice through an IIoT lens

2019-12-22 19:02:24
On Dec 22, 2019, at 6:13 PM, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm a bit more concerned about some of the arguments that have been made on
the IETF list to the effect that the SMTP standard should change to conform
to the practice of that single domain, despite the much greater depth and
breadth of experience that informs RFC 5321.

I share this concern, and hope that no message of mine inadvertently gave
the impression that I support removing support for features not used in a
one-size-fits-all model based on the public Internet (your IoP).

In Postfix, support for stand-alone and private network deployments is a
design requirement.  We also support TLS without a public PKI (based on
certificate fingerprints, explicit trusted signer keys, ...).   Raw public
keys on the server are not yet supported, because at present there's no
support for these in OpenSSL.  Otherwise, that'd be something I'd add
support for.

--
        Viktor.