Re: [ietf-smtp] my perspective: viewing SMTP specifications and practice through an IIoT lens

2019-12-23 14:06:22
On 12/23/2019 12:03 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
From an idealist perspective I would like such devices to submit mail to MSAs using port 587, or better, TLS over port 465.   I'm just not sure that will fly as there seems to be a lot of mindshare in that world around submitting mail using port 25.   More generally, there's a lot of preference for using as little configuration as possible, especially per-device configuration.

It's fairly common for nascent efforts to seek ways to simplify their work and operation, on the claim that they have a simpler environment and won't (ever) need the additional mechanisms. In those early days, the appeal of the simplifications is understandably strong and even seems reasonable, within their immediate framework. However their assessment of the future is almost always wrong.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking