Re: [ietf-smtp] my perspective: viewing SMTP specifications and practice through an IIoT lens

2019-12-23 15:35:29
On 12/23/19 4:13 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

These people do not see their efforts as "nascent".    Devices like these have existed for decades.

Network effects.  Things are nascent until they his the real knee of the curve on scaling.(*)  That's only just starting to happen.

Sure.   But there's a lot of inertia, and some justification, behind their operational practice and expectations.   Treating them as if they're newbies probably won't work well.

FWIW, the biggest concerns I have about that world aren't about email, they're about security.    But I'm becoming sensitive to just how often the assumptions of the "mainstream Internet" world clash with those in the IIoT world, and also why the practices and solutions from the former don't always work in the latter.

Keith