Re: [ietf-smtp] my perspective: viewing SMTP specifications and practice through an IIoT lens

2019-12-24 03:29:48
On Mon 23/Dec/2019 21:03:16 +0100 Keith Moore wrote:
On 12/23/19 2:08 PM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Anyway, real SMTP clients use DNS.  I'd consider IIoT devices as submission
clients.

Color me skeptical.   From an idealist perspective I would like such devices
submit mail to MSAs using port 587, or better, TLS over port 465.   I'm just
not sure that will fly as there seems to be a lot of mindshare in that world
around submitting mail using port 25.

Serving submission on port 25 is a feasible alternative:

   Although most email clients and servers can be configured to use port
   587 instead of 25, there are cases where this is not possible or
   convenient.  A site MAY choose to use port 25 for message submission
   by designating some hosts to be MSAs and others to be MTAs.

Best
Ale