Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-25 23:20:10
On 12/26/19 12:12 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 12/25/2019 9:06 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
It seems unlikely that practices that further encourage the arms race, and further degrade the reliability of email, are defensible.

"Encourage" the arms race???  Wow.

So, ummm, you think that the bad actors will act less badly if the receive-side filtering engines are less effective?  That's the simple implication of saying that applying effective methods encourages their bad behaviors.

No, and I didn't say anything of the sort.

What I will say is that relying on filtering criteria that are completely unrelated to the content of the message not only degrades the reliability of email over time, and also makes it easier for the bad actors to game the system.... particularly when, as is likely for EHLO tags, those filtering criteria are used to the exclusion of everything else.

Or to seek a more affirmative tone:

   What exactly is the alternative that will be at least as effective as what is currently being done?

I've already explained this, and don't believe it's effective to repeat my previous arguments at this time.     And your arguments are without substance.

And by asking this, I'm asking for tested practice, not untested theory.

Try putting some rigor in your own arguments then.    Even "tested practice" is useless without actual measurements and a description of how those measurements were conducted.

And if you refuse to consider anything that doesn't already exist, you're insisting that we continue to be stuck with the unacceptable status quo.   Internet users deserve better than that.

Keith