Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-26 09:59:56
On 12/26/19 10:46 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

What I've been trying to suggest is that further engineering in this space be based on deep knowledge of the realities present in the conduct of online abuse, not idealized theory or, worse, denial of experience.

In some sense, I agree.  But one should not legitimize all existing practice as proven by experience, without conducting actual measurements to support such assertions.

It's fine to explore enhancements to theory, but not in a standards group.

By that argument, there would never be any new standards produced, and nothing to counteract the entropy that plagues the Internet.

Keith