Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-27 10:18:28
On 12/27/19 4:13 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

If users send out mail using the domain's MTA —as they should

While this would be convenient, I'm not sure it's justified. Sure, it's easier to do that with modern UAs than it used to be, but I've seen several UAs that preferred one submission server over others.   I've also seen environments that tried to force outgoing mail to a specific submission server.

This might be an item for a "best email practices" RFC.   But email usage is incredibly diverse.   I suspect we need an alternative way for users to authenticate their mail than to expect them to submit using their domain's submission server.

Keith