Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-26 05:26:47

If we want to see mechanisms that focus on the spam originators
and spammers, rather than the receiving end, focusing on people,
and especially mechanisms, that have characterized efforts for
most of the last 25 years of effort may not be the best answer.
I agree that trying to develop new approaches without
understanding the old ones would be unwise but, if one wants new
approaches, getting over-focused on the older ones may be unwise
too.

My personal view is that the ONLY way we'll get a significant and objective removal of spam is if we have some form of central authorisation (not authentication) system for sending email. This could be based on DNS/client certificates/something else.

(What I mean by 'authorisation' requires a central body (or network of central bodies) with whom you can register your email senders with information about which IP addresses and/or domains are used. There has to be some (small) cost in either effort, time or money to register (to discourage abusive registrations while not preventing legitimate ones) and so on.)

I see and (at least partially) understand the resistance to that idea, so I wouldn't dare propose it as a solution. However...

In essence, I actually think we're moving towards that anyway, with the big email providers (gmail, Microsoft) essentially becoming their own ecosystem which includes a form of "authorisation" and with spam DNS RBLs/whitelisting orgs doing stuff. But, at the moment it's happening with no form of open discussion and with no standardisation. Maybe accepting that it's happening and working together to get a good standardised system would be better than pretending it's not happening and having a disjointed mess?

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe