Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-27 12:14:39
On 12/27/19 12:41 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

That's where I will disagree. There may be some social aspects to spam, but it is mostly a technical problem. The technical problem is the open nature of SMTP. That will never change, and this technical problem is only solvable
mostly by other technical means, that are rooted in something other than
SMTP.

In any case, there's nothing that can anyone show that any social or legal approach to fighting spam will make any difference whatsoever. Again: look

There is a (IRTF) RFC which has the following text: "rise of spam and other anti-social behavior ..."  I did a search of the IETF mailing list archives for other discussions of the topic.  I could not find anything significant using the IETF search engine.  I couldn't use a well-known search engine for the search as, some time back, the IETF blocked the search engine from indexing its mailing list.  Anyway, from what I remember of IETF-related discussions, spam used to be describe as a social problem.

I don't even know what people mean when they claim that spam is a "technical problem".   It sounds like a ridiculous statement to me.

Spam is absolutely anti-social behavior, because it's a small number of people stealing the attention of a huge number of people for completely selfish reasons.

But people used to also say things like "you can't address a social problem by technical means" which I also thought was a ridiculous statement.   Social problems are addressed by technical means, if imperfectly, all the time.

Keith