Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-28 07:39:20
S Moonesamy writes:

Hi Sam,
At 03:49 PM 27-12-2019, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
And what tangible impact have these laws had, anywhere?

It depends on whether the business takes a breach of a law, e.g. data protection as a serious matter. I was surprised to hear that a regulatory agency based some of its investigations on tax evasion on email advertising. As for whether those laws have a tangible impact, it would better to ask people with expertise in that field.

Well, I don't really know who those people are, except for a couple of names off the top of my head, that are widely known; but I have no recollection of any one of them opining on this specific topic, beyond lukewarm endorsements on the order of "well, it doesn't really do any harm". And I don't even know how one goes about being accredited for having experise in this field.

All I know is, that I've participated in some well-known anti-spam communities since the mid 1990s, and still do in what's left of them; for a brief period of time I ran my own DNSBL, before abandoning that project; I wrote and still passively maintain a free SMTP server, with flexible mail filtering capabilities. And what I said here would be pretty much what I would say if someone were to ask me.

Useful in which way, exactly? All of these laws, that have either been
enacted or proposed, they're all typically the same in spirit, and only
differ in secondary characteristics.

It is useful to adhere to applicable laws. The alternative is to operate in an unpredictable regulatory environment with the risks which that entails.

There's a difference between being useful to adhere to applicable laws, and the applicable laws actually being useful.