Re: [ietf-smtp] DSNs

2020-04-26 15:33:18
In article
<38e72b1d-d46d-43bc-a65f-27e32f7ffb9b(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> you
write:
I've no idea what the problems with notify=success are considered to be, so
I don't know whether Signal/Telegram/Threema/… have equivalent problems, ...

Those are each single systems under single management.  They also
don't make it easy for a user to send a whole lot of messages to
strangers.

With SMTP you have no way to tell who is sending a message that
arrives from outside, and experience tells us that the majority of
incoming mail is hostile.  We don't do success notifications or web
bugs because we don't want to leak info about our users to malicious
strangers.

NDNs don't have that problem sort of by definition since they're
generally saying that the address isn't one of your users.  (I realize
there's "mailbox full" and such, it's not a perfect correlation.)

R's,
John