Re: [ietf-smtp] DSNs

2020-04-26 20:04:47
On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 17:59:18 -0400, Scott Kitterman said:

The other big problem is that even if we chunk out an RFC that clarifies
that they *can* pick-and-choose which DSN events to react to on a case by
case basis, it's still going to take a decade before people actually do
something about it.

I think that's backwards.  People already have done something about it and do
pick and choose.  The question is if and how we should align standards to that
reality.

I was unclear.. I meant specifically the "We turned it off because we thought
that's
what we had to do to comply" crowd.   Once it gets in config files, it's there
*forever*.

(Not SMTP, but demonstrating the problem - I had an IP address for an AIX
workstation on my desk that was running a stratum-2 NTP server. That IP address
was removed from the clocks.txt file in late 1998, and went permanently offline
in June 1999 when we moved from "workstations on desks doing servers" to proper
rack-mounted boxes with all the bells and whistles.

In July 2018, a test over 6 hours found 501 machines that *still* thought that
IP
address was a good place to send NTP requests...   Gaak.)