Re: [ietf-smtp] DSNs

2020-04-27 03:23:23

On 27 Apr 2020, at 00:56, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam(_at_)courier-mta(_dot_)com>
wrote:

John Levine writes:

Not necessarily.  It might be forwarded, it might bounce later.

It's already known that if you are going to forward your mailbox, you want to
get your bounces go somewhere else. The bouncing on forwarded mail are mostly
useless to the original sender. The original sender can't do anything about
them.

In this situation I would considering forwarding to be a secondary act that
has no bearing on the original mail. The message was delivered to the
recipient. The fact that it was forwarded by the recipient's mailbox is a out
of scope for DSNs.

Forwarding can happen before the message hits the recipient’s mailbox (sieve,
procmail). Also, recipients may have per-user filters to /dev/null mail, before
the MUA gets it or afterwards - most MUAs allow for blocking. Often, these are
solutions implemented to avoid harassment or abuse and there is a significant
security / escalation risk for the people implementing the blocks if the blocks
are discovered.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
laura(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com
(650) 437-0741