Re: [ietf-smtp] broken signatures, was Curious

2020-07-21 15:48:43
John,

While I mostly agree, we should not lose sight of the fact that
there still people using the Internet in less-developed
countries, isolated locations, over intermittent connections,
etc., where bandwidth tends to be scarce and expensive
Whatever they are using it for, it probably isn't dominated by
high resolution video and, assuming we care about them, saying
"well, it doesn't make a lot of difference to those who have
essentially unlimited bandwidth and who are streaming lots of
video, so no one and nothing else else counts" seems a
unfortunate to me.

In addition, if a possibly-legitimate, possibly-phishing,
message comes along, I'd really like to see us (and our MUAs)
encourage users to look at headers, understand what can be
trusted and what can't, and so on.  Perhaps the educational
effort that would require is hopeless under the best of
circumstances, but it is certainly impossible if we facilitate
and encourage an ever-rising collection of noise header fields.

  john

--On Tuesday, 21 July, 2020 16:19 -0400 John Levine