Re: [ietf-smtp] broken signatures, was Curious

2020-07-21 20:55:36
On 7/21/2020 6:25 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

I suspect that this would at least make a lot of us less grumpy about excess
headers.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the target MTA should rip everything other
than From/To/Subject/Date out.  That would limit our ability to innovate, and
there sure has been a lot of that!  But, surely, any system that knows what
some header is, (such as X-BeenThere or X-GRID-REF) *is* ought to rip that
out as it knows whether or not its useful.

A MUA does not display all headers. It only extract and displays what it needs. For anymore starting to write an MUA from scratch, the fields you will need to first deal with for display are From/To/Subject/Date.

The OffLine MUA will need all the headers because it handles the rendering. The Online MUA will not need all the headers because the centralized backend handles the rendering.

--
Hector Santos,
https://secure.santronics.com