Re: [ietf-smtp] broken signatures, was Curious

2020-07-23 05:07:50

On 22/07/2020 19:55, John R Levine wrote:
   > That's not gpod advice. The point of the mystery headers is to tell
   > what happened to the message during its trip, and the part of the trip    > before it hit the list manager is as important as the part after. When    > I'm trying to figure out why something undesirable leaked through the    > list manager, I need the original headers to figure out what happened.

Right. You need the standard "Received:" lines, which would be a known
header at this point, so it would remain.

Really, I find the other stuff to be useful.  I understand that you don't, but you're not the only one here.

Autoresponders and list managers that snip out headers they don't understand, particularly those that were added as part of a belt-and-braces attempt to avoid mail loops and message amplification, can cause problems.

Those not-described-by-RFC headers - e.g. "X-BeenThere: ietf-smtp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org" - are not just useful for manual diagnostics, but also for automated mitigation of operational problems.

Cheers,
  Steve