Re: [ietf-smtp] broken signatures, was Curious

2020-07-21 20:46:09

Kurt Andersen (b) <kboth(_at_)drkurt(_dot_)com> wrote:
    >> any system that knows what
    >> some header is, (such as X-BeenThere or X-GRID-REF) *is* ought to rip
that
    >> out as it knows whether or not its useful.

    > That's a highly presumptuous stance to take. Knowing what a header is and
    > making a judgement as to whether or not it is useful are not at all the
    > same thing. Amongst other relevant points is the question of "useful to
    > whom (or what)"? Something that is not useful to 99.9% of recipients might
    > be very useful to the remaining 0.1% (witness the current thrash in the
    > dmarc-wg regarding components within the 5322.From header field)...

my appologies... let me a use a few more words here.
(because I agree with you, and you clearly didn't understand my point)

A system that knows what X-GRID-REF is, because it use that header itself,
ought to know where it is a useful field or not, and what the implications
are of removing it.

This might deal with some of the X-Foo-bar-SOMEHEXSTUFF: that seems to
accumulate from multiple hops what I suspect is an internal load balanced set
of systems.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-