Re: [ietf-smtp] Curious, with this now being associated to emailcore, should list name change?

2020-07-21 20:48:11
John C Klensin writes:

I think this is probably a bad idea (or just short of nightmare)
but I wonder whether if we created a registration tree for
headers named
     private.* :
required registration of whatever came next, and then declared
open season on the rest if that would make things better.  Or
worse.

E.g.
    private.<antispam>.MyCOMPANY.MYSTUFF:
    private.<antispam>.YourCOMPANY.YourStuff:
    private.<trace>.YOURSTUFF:

Noting (to my surprise, I had forgotten) that section 3.6.8 of
RFC5322 allows any printable ASCII character other than SP or
colon in field names.

Why not borrow the general idea from Java and Android, and just incorporate DNS itself into header names.

com.courier-mta.MYSTUFF: whatever

I can use any header that starts with my domain name, for whatever I want.

No need to maintain a registration service of any kind. DNS is the registration service. If you own the domain name, use any header that starts with it.