Re: [ietf-smtp] own mail server: DNS / static IP / no bad reputation?

2020-10-09 15:45:27
In article <20201009203231(_dot_)GA91739(_at_)kiel(_dot_)esmtp(_dot_)org> you
write:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2020, John R Levine wrote:

On the other hand, if you want to run your own mail server, setting up a BSD
or Linux VPS with matching f/rDNS is not hard and not expensive.  I have a
tiny one (20GB disk, 512MB RAM, 1TB/mo) for $27/yr and a reasonably cqpable
one (30GB/1GB/2TB) for $43.20/yr.  To set the rDNS I just put in a ticket

Could you please share the information about the hosting companies
who can provide this kind of deal? ISPs in my new location do not
offer static IPs :-(

Here in the US every VPS provider still gives you a static IPv4 IP,
and the competent ones give you v6 as well, either automatically or on
request.

The place I use is called Tektonic, http://tektonic.net/

Setting up a mail server "in the cloud" (e.g., Amazon) seems to be
fairly useless with all the "bad reputation", ...

Agreed, hosting mail at Amazon is a losing battle. Tektonic does
(mostly) transparent outbound mail filtering so their reputation seems
pretty good. The only time it got me, I really was sending spam to
people for analysis, and when I explained that (and they saw I had
been a customer for a while with no complaints) they turned it off.

R's,
John

PS: If you use this link I get a rebate: https://manage.tektonic.net/?affid=119