Re: [ietf-smtp] own mail server: DNS / static IP / no bad reputation?

2020-10-12 13:43:18
In article <01RQPKW2Y2E8005PTU(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com> you write:
Keith may have expressed himself badly, but like it or not, he has a point.
Operating a mail system is increasingly difficult, and a lot of that difficulty
is associated with limits and restrictions imposed by large providers in a
fairly arbitrary way.

It's not just large providers. Spam filtering is a statistical process
and history tells us that if a network is leaking spam and doesn't
have a history of sending legit mail, if you block the whole range you
will likely block a lot of spam and not a lot of legit mail. It is
possible that by exerting arbitrarily more effort recipient systems
can make the filtering somewhat more accurate, but nowhere is it
written that it is my job to spend my money because [generic] you
picked an unfortuante mail setup.

I agree this makes it hard to set up a small mail server and I wish I
had better options to suggest. Neither "Don't filter" or "Filter
perfectly" are on the table.

R's,
John