Re: [ietf-smtp] own mail server: DNS / static IP / no bad reputation?

2020-10-12 17:31:58
On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 5:33 PM Ned Freed
<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

Depends how much you want to pay people to accept your mail.  I don't
think we want to go there.

My problem here is that that you seem content with coming up with an excuse
for any blocking people do, no matter how capricious, no matter how arbitrary.

I don't believe I ever offered a single excuse on anyone else's
behalf. Stating that anyone is free to run their mail server in
whichever way they see fit, and employ whichever filtering approach
works for them -- that is not an excuse of any kind. I'm not passing
judgement on, or asserting as to the merits of, their mail filtering
strategies, and I don't feel any obligation to defend their specific
decisions, or their merits.

To me, it boils down to a very simple concept. It's someone else's
mail server. It's not my mail server. They pay for its electricity,
bandwidth, and hosting fees, and it is no one's business to tell them
whose mail they must accept or reject, and why. I don't see that as
excusing anything, only stating a fairly basic principle. I have no
business telling anyone how to configure their mail server, but I
would appreciate the same courtesy extended to me, which is that
nobody has any business telling me how I must configure mine's.

I understand that some may feel that someone else is being arbitrary
and capricious in their E-mail receiving policies. Well, perhaps they
are. Perhaps I am arbitrary and capricious, but it's my business, too.
It's still their mail server, or my mail server; and they can be as
arbitrary and capricious with their mail server, or I can be arbitrary
and capricious with mine's, as they or me wish.

At this point, this argument always sidetracks to discussions of
interoperability, various user and customer service issues, and other
similar worthy goals; or once in a blue moon I get accused of somehow
working to undermine E-mail interoperability, in some unclear way,
assigning to me some Dr. Evil-like powers to do so. I haven't heard
anything new, to those points, in many years, though. So let's just
consider all those arguments as simply repeated, once more.