Re: [ietf-smtp] own mail server: DNS / static IP / no bad reputation?

2020-10-12 17:10:30
To add a short personal story to this discussion; I run my personal mail server
at home, using XS4all (a Dutch ISP). Very low outbound rate, I think on average
10 emails a day. Using SFP / DKIM / DMARC. Most of my mails get through without
problems. I guess XS4all IP blocks have a good reputation as the provider is
very security aware and permits users to run their own servers using a
dedicated IP address with a reverse DNS hostname. Unfortunately XS4all seems to
get absorbed by KPN.

Of course setting up your own mailserver is somewhat time consuming, but there
are many tutorials. In a perfect world one wouldn't need a static IP, but being
part of a somewhat chaotic federated communications network has a price.
Setting up your own XMPP or SIP server also relies on DNS and using those
services without a static IP is difficult.

I feel that some of the discussion about running one's own mail server should
be more appropriate on the mailop mailinglist. It is not a protocol problem.
The only thing I don't like for small setups is that a few newer anti-spam
methods rely on https resources at the sender's end.

Evert