Re: [ietf-smtp] own mail server: DNS / static IP / no bad reputation?

2020-10-12 07:52:40
[please use only the list for replies, thanks.]

John R Levine wrote:
The place I use is called Tektonic, http://tektonic.net/

Thanks, unfortunately they don't support the OS I'm using.
But now that you wrote about "VPS" I know what to look for
(not simply "hosting" - that showed mostly "web hosting")

(mostly) transparent outbound mail filtering so their reputation seems

If STARTTLS is used, they shouldn't be able to do it, unless they
mess with SMTP (or much worse: with TLS), right?

Add to that the reality that VPS solutions are far from immune to the
same sort of blocking issues you get from a cloud provider.

Several of the people I know using VPS solutions to send small amounts of
legitimate commercial email have been hit by IP reputation blocks recently. In
at least two cases all it took was a single noisy neighbor sending a bit too
much mail without jumping through the necessary hoops. AFAICT no spam,
phishing, etc. was involved.

Keith may have expressed himself badly, but like it or not, he has a point.
Operating a mail system is increasingly difficult, and a lot of that difficulty
is associated with limits and restrictions imposed by large providers in a
fairly arbitrary way.

And no, I don't have a solution to this problem. But claiming the problem
doesn't exist, or that VPS solutions or whatever are the necessary magic, isn't
helpful.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to figuring how the limit changes
one of the MSPs has just implemented so the small amount of opt-in mailing list
mail I send to them isn't unnecessarily delayed.

                                Ned