Re: [ietf-smtp] what's not a trace field

2021-02-18 10:13:26
On 2/18/2021 7:58 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

OLD:
    in a fashion similar to some fields specified in [SMTP],
    such as in Section 4.1.1.4.

NEW:
    in a fashion similar to the trace fields specified in
    Section 4.1.1.4 of [SMTP].

That doesn't imply that Delivered-To: /is/ a trace field.  Just that it should be treated in the same way.  (The trace attribute is not registered at IANA.)

My goodness.  How diplomatic.  I like it.  done!

d/

ps. Notwithstanding making the change to the draft, it's important to realize that RFC 5321 is quite explicit that Received: is THE trace header field. The only language in 5321 that says otherwise is commentary, not definition. Here's the clearest documentation of this fact:

   4.4.  Trace Information

   When an SMTP server receives a message for delivery or further
   processing, it MUST insert trace ("time stamp" or "Received")
   information at the beginning of the message content, as discussed in
   Section 4.1.1.4.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking