Re: [ietf-smtp] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-00.txt

2021-02-14 19:08:11
I generally agree with the above stated principle. The thing that seems different here is that 822, 2822, and 5322 all (for better or worse) treated "trace" as a block containing a Return-Path: field followed by one or more Received: fields, and recommended (to only slightly varying degrees) keeping them in that order. This document (among others) changes that. ...

If it does, it's wrong.

I took a look at what qmail and postfix do, and they both put the Return-Path at the top, with Received and Delivered-To and other trace headers below it, added as the message passes through whatever components do whatever the trace heeaders describe. I am not aware of anything that reorders Delivered-To headers.

Once again, all we need to say is that Delivered-To is a trace header. There is nothing else to say about where it goes in the message or its relative position to other headers.

Regards,