Re: [ietf-smtp] New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-00.txt

2021-02-14 18:02:30
On 2/14/2021 3:37 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
I generally agree with the above stated principle. The thing that seems different here is that 822, 2822, and 5322 all (for better or worse) treated "trace" as a block containing a Return-Path: field followed by one or more Received: fields, and recommended (to only slightly varying degrees) keeping them in that order. This document (among others) changes that.

This prompted my looking over the relevant portion of RFC 5321.

4.4.  Trace Information

   When an SMTP server receives a message for delivery or further
   processing, it MUST insert trace ("time stamp" or "Received")
   information at the beginning of the message content, as discussed in
   Section 4.1.1.4.

I think that calling Delivered-To: a 'trace' header field ties it to this model in ways that aren't appropriate. And it isn't the above model that should change.

So while Delivered-to: is similar to an SMTP trace field, it isn't actually an example of one. The fact that it is an MDA-generated field rather than an MTA-generated one further justifies breaking this linkage.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking