Re: [ietf-smtp] Experimental (was: Re: homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto)

2021-08-05 12:46:38
On 5 Aug 2021, at 1:10 pm, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

There seems to be an inordinate focus on the loop detection benefit, while
ignoring the handling trace audit use that was, frankly, the original reason
for developing the document.

Well, perhaps then a *new* experimental header should be defined for this
new purpose.  Though who exactly is the audience for this trace information?

The only use-case I see is one where I sometimes accidentally benefit from
a privacy leak when a message forwarded via a WHOIS privacy alias bounces
downstream of the privacy service revealing the actual domain owner's
address.

Though such privacy leaks are occasionally useful to me, I'm not sure they
merit standardisation.

Beyond loop detection, what is the intended audience of the draft's trace
headers?

--
        Viktor.