Re: [ietf-smtp] homework, not an experiment, draft-crocker-email-deliveredto

2021-08-04 00:10:36
On 3 Aug 2021, at 7:58 pm, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

While saying 'internal version of the address' sounds quite special, there
is, as of yet, no example that has been provided, to show what makes it
different from a regular email address, nor any technical detail provided
that makes clear what needs to be supported, but is not, in the current draft.

In Postfix, the address that is presently recorded is the result of any
internal rewriting such as mapping "First(_dot_)Last(_at_)example(_dot_)com" to
some internal
"uid(_at_)mailstore1(_dot_)example(_dot_)com", that may not correspond to any
public address
of the recipient.

But as I've said before, we reserve the right to make the localpart a base64
HMAC to curb abuse.  There is no expectation that that address is to be
understood by anything other than the responsible MTA (cluster?) in question.

--
        Viktor.