Re: [ietf-smtp] Who should set the Sender: header field?

2021-12-14 03:27:52
On Mon 13/Dec/2021 20:24:52 +0100 John Levine wrote:
It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it> said:
using Thunderbird, for one, it is easy to modify the From: field of the message being edited, possibly setting multiple mailboxes. However, that software omits to add a Sender: field, which is required in such cases. Where's the bug? Options are:

* The MUA should prompt for a Sender:, or

How very annoying for the 99% of cases where the sender would be
redundant with the from.

Of course, I meant only in case the user added multiple mailboxes to From:. RFC 5322 requires that a Sender: field be there in such cases.

* the submission server adds Sender according to the logged-in identity.

Sorry, but submission servers are not the source of truth for someone's "real"
email address, much less their identity.  I have hundreds of e-mail addresses.
All of them are me, and I would not appreciate some piece of software picking
one arbitrarily and adding a sender header to my mail.

Agreed. Perhaps there should be a per-user configuration option to tell the preferred Sender: to be set when it's missing and required. Otherwise, picking the first compatible mailbox of From: could be a good default.

On my system, the submission server puts the submission account, which
is not necessarily an email address, in the Received header in case
there is some need to figure out where a message came from.

On mine, I obscure the Received:'s AUTH token to prevent leaking such info.

I realize that both might take care of that, but where should I file a bug
first?

Nowhere, please.  If for some reason you want to add a sender header, there are
plugins like Header Tools which let you do so.

So you point to the client...

However, I only found a "Header Tools Lite" for Thunderbird, which seems to be designed to change the header of /received/ messages, not outgoing ones.

Best
Ale