Re: [ietf-smtp] Who should set the Sender: header field?

2021-12-16 03:30:58
On Wed 15/Dec/2021 17:34:15 +0100 John C Klensin wrote:

I am also, fwiw, rather unsympathetic to arguments about what we
should do based on the 800 pound gorilla model.  If one accepts
the "anything they won't do is DOA", there is no point having
standards, or at least any standard rather than  "write down
what they are doing and just imitate it".

Back to the subject topic, based on what one of those 800 pound G. wrote, it turns out that rejecting mail where multiple authorship is expressed by multiple From: mailboxes was introduced as a requirement to implement RFC 7489. I didn't notice it until a few days ago.

These days, both RFC 7489 and RFC 5322 are being rewritten. Yet, the sentiment of the community who rewrites them seems to be that since that feature is seldom used, it is a waste of time to consider it. Such a schizophrenic stance leads to inconsistent standards.

Best
Ale