Re: [ietf-smtp] Who should set the Sender: header field?

2021-12-15 09:15:04
I wonder how many of the 800 pound gorillas in the email world still allow
multiple addresses in the From: field - any proposal for weird headers that get
rejected by either Google or Microsoft (rather than silently ignored and passed
along) is de facto DOA, no matter what the de jure status is.

Our forty year old mail systems have lots of ancient cruft that might have made sense on the tiny Internet where everyone knew each other, but not any more. Just yesterday I was looking at the 251 and 551 SMTP codes which mean "this person has moved, here's the new address."

I can't get very upset that these ancient unused warts don't work any more. Over in emailcore we are updating the specs and I think we should explicitly deprecate stuff that no longer (if ever) interoperates in practice.

Regards,