Re: [ietf-smtp] Discussion about draft-benecke-cfbl-address-header

2022-01-14 20:23:18
 [ redirected from the dispatch list ]

I want to introduce you my email-related draft "Complaint Feedback Loop
Address Header" which can be found @
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-benecke-cfbl-address-header/.
The intention of this draft is to have documented, standardized and
automated way to provide a so called complaint feedback loop address to
mailbox providers.
Currently, providing and maintaining such an address is a manual and
time-consuming process for both sides, email senders and mailbox providers.
This draft defines the required header, how the header needs to be
processed and signed by DKIM.

Technically the proposal is fine.  In practice I have my doubts whether
this would get enough interest from mailbox providers to be worth
the effort.  To oversimplify, the bulk senders say "please please tell
us who our bad customers are" and the mailbox providers say "why should
we help you listwash your spam lists?"

This is why I said in another messsage that this is a topic for
M3AAWG.  Maybe they'd be interested if there were some sort of way to figure
out who is likely to be a good quality ESP trying to manage their customers
and who just wants to listwash complainers.

R's,
John