Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-14 10:15:50

MURATA Makoto wrote:

In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Chris Lilley wrote...

 >> - XML sent (e.g. mail, http) as text/xml (or equivalent, e.g.
text/vnd.wap.wml):

 >as text/"anything" in other words

I think that RFC 2046 covers text/* in general.  RFC 2376 cannot
change the default of HTTP (i.e., 8859-1).  The IAB allowed
RFC 2376 to change the default for text/xml only.

That was what I was suggesting, changing it for text/xml only.

 >>   - Charset parameter is strongly recommended
 >
 >Charset parameter is required if the charset is not UTF-8 or UTF-16

Even when the charset is UTF-8 or UTF-16, the parameter is required.
Otherwise, we will be inconsitent with RFC 2046.

 >>   - If no charset parameter, default is ASCII. The default of iso-8859-1
in
 >>     HTTP is explicitly overridden in the specification of the charset
 >>     parameter in section 3.1 "Text/xml Registration" of RFC 2376
 >>     (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2376.txt)
 >
 >The charset (not default, but THE charset) is UTF-16 (if BOM) or UTF-8 (if
 >no BOM) and the "default" of iso-8859-1 in HTTP and US-ASCII in mail is
 >explicitly overridden ...

This conflicts with RFC 2046.

Only if adopted as ageneral rule for all text/*, which I was not
suggesting. I was suggesting, instead, that it be for text/xml and
text/*-xml

 >> - XML sent as application/xml (or equivalent):
 >>   - Charset parameter is strongly recommended, and if present,
 >>     it takes precedence.
 >
 >Charset parameter is *disallowed*.

I do not agree.

You might think that we can avoid bad WWW servers by this change.  But
we cannnot.  We have to handle a collection of XML, XSL, CSS, VBScript,
JavaScript, etc.

Perhaps, but in that case ietf-*XML*-mime would not be the place to propose
such a cange.

We need a solution that works for every format.
Otherwise, data will corrupt.

I would add, we need a solutionthat works for every transport, including
'file'. Otherwise, data will become corrupt.

--
Chris