Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-23 10:10:57

MURATA Makoto wrote:

In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Chris Lilley wrote...

 >Thus, for any XML file which is not encoded in US-ASCII, text/xml is an
 >inappropriate choice of MIME type. Silent data corruption can and will
 >occur.

If I use UTF-8 or UTF-16 and provide the charset parameter, no data
corruption will occur.

Provided that the fallback to text/plain does not occur, which cannot be
guaranteed.

 >For all international xml files (noting that in this context, the USA is
 >international too due to the widespread use of Spanish, and the wide numbe
 >rof other languages in use), a type such as application/xml is the correct
 >choice, unless ther eis a more specific non-text type available.

If an XML document is readable for casual users, satisfies
restrictions of the top-level media type "text", and does not require
special dispatching, "text/xml" is the most appropriate media type.

Thats a lot of ifs.

--
Chris