Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-22 10:31:36

MURATA Makoto wrote:
In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Chris Lilley wrote...
 >That was what I was suggesting, changing it for text/xml only.

If we consider e-mail and fallback to text/plain, there is not
much we can do to text/xml.  We can mandate the charset parameter.
That's all what we can do.  We cannot change the default.

Correct. The text/plain fallback for HTTP and for email differs, and thus,
only the intersection of these two defaults can be relied upon.

Thus, for any XML file which is not encoded in US-ASCII, text/xml is an
inappropriate choice of MIME type. Silent data corruption can and will
occur.

For all international xml files (noting that in this context, the USA is
international too due to the widespread use of Spanish, and the wide numbe
rof other languages in use), a type such as application/xml is the correct
choice, unless ther eis a more specific non-text type available.

--
Chris