Re: The role of media types for XML content

2005-06-15 17:02:01

On Thursday, June 16, 2005, 1:35:09 AM, MURATA wrote:

Chris>> With respect, you are, since I pointed one out in this thread. You may
Chris>> disagree with it, but you are not unaware of it. I have already
Chris>> mentioned content negotiation of schemas and the problems caused by
Chris>> serving both RNG and XSD as application/xml.

MM> Yes, of course.  You pointed out the problem.

MM> Chris, Mark, and Martin think that an attribute indicating media types
MM> is very useful for standalone schemas and are inclined to forget
MM> embedded schemas for now.

Or at least, to say that reliably identifying a standalone schema does
not necessarily constrain any future solution for embedded ones.

MM>   I think that an attribute specifying primary
MM> namespaces, for example, is more useful and it works for standalone
MM> schemas as well as embedded schemas.

Possibly; a mere list is not really quite sufficient, as the xslt
template shows. Nesting order is also important.

MM>  I also think that the use of media
MM> types by the referrer should be avoided, since they may be different
MM> from what the server says.

Which has been looked at by the TAG and found to be consistent with Web
Architecture as long as it is treated as a fetching hint and not defined
to be authoritative over what the server sends, in the very few cases
where that turns out to be different.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group