Re: The role of media types for XML content

2005-06-15 09:49:28

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:47:40PM +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
Mark> >And do you want to specify a
Mark> > specialized media type when you reference the embedded RNG?
Mark>
Mark> Ideally, yes, I think that would be valuable for the reasons I gave
Mark> before concerning layering and security.
Mark>
Mark>  [1] http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/
Mark>  [2] http://www.markbaker.ca/2004/01/XmlDispatchTest/

You propose to use a specialized media type for a fragment and
to use a different media type for the entire resource.

Ah, I misunderstood you.  I thought you were referring to a separate
media type for the embedded RNG itself, not for use by the referrer to
that RNG.  I wouldn't encourage the referrer to use a separate media
type since it violates the principle that the server provided media type
be authoritative in determining fragment identifier.

I agree with your premise that a new media type for each new XML
vocabulary is not a scalable, long-term solution.  But neither do I
think that application/xml is a solution.  The work being done in the
CDF WG may provide one, but for now though, I agree with Liam and
Martin that a new media type makes the most sense.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca
Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies   http://www.coactus.com