Re: The role of media types for XML content

2005-06-14 07:47:42

Mark> >And do you want to specify a
Mark> > specialized media type when you reference the embedded RNG?
Mark>
Mark> Ideally, yes, I think that would be valuable for the reasons I gave
Mark> before concerning layering and security.
Mark>
Mark>  [1] http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/
Mark>  [2] http://www.markbaker.ca/2004/01/XmlDispatchTest/

You propose to use a specialized media type for a fragment and
to use a different media type for the entire resource.  It is a very
interesting idea.  It might help the marriage between media types and
multi-namespace XML documents.  But I do not think that MIME RFCs or
URI/IRI RFCs bless it (at least now).  Media types have been intended
as values of the content-type field of MIME.

You might want to raise this issue in the W3C CDF WG or W3C TAG, and
you might even want to write an RFC that updates MIME RFCs or URI/IRI
RFCs.

However, unless such significant changes are endorsed, I continue
to be very reluctant to register a specialized media type for
the RELAX NG XML syntax.

After all, it is ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 that is requesting the registartion
of a media type for the RELAX NG compact syntax.  In its last meeting,
SC34 decided to request this media type, but did not consider a specialized
media type for the RELAX NG XML syntax.  Since we are talking about
media types in the standard tree, the media type for the RNG compact
syntax can go to the IESG but that for the RNG XML syntax cannot.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>